Be sure to leave YOUR therapy ideas in a comment below. We would love to steal them! And while you're at it- have you noticed my new "Pin It" buttons if you hover over any image? And my Pinterest (and other social media buttons below)? I'd love you to share these posts all over the place. We SLPs don't swap ideas nearly enough.
Without further ado, I give you all the dementia treatment ideas I could think of today:
- Make a personalized memory book
- Include information about the patient themselves, what they like, their age, etc.
- Include photos of the family, the home, etc.
- Page 1: My page
- Consider including name, address, birthday...
- Page 2: My parents
- Page 3: My wife
- Page 4-7?: My kids
- Page 8: My grandkids
- Page 9: My dogs
- Page 10: My house
- Page 11-14: My history
- Page 15: My hobbies
- Have patient write out steps for specific tasks (ie. taking medications)--place around patient’s room
- Place labels around the room where certain objects should be kept (ie toothbrush, keys, shoes, etc.).
- Family training for use of strategies
- Creating a daily schedule - teaching family how to assist patient with it daily.
- Create a daily log notebook or a journal. Have patient and family contribute daily.
- Research shows that in patients with dementia, the brain is still capable of new learning, so cognitive tasks and cognitive stimulation continue to be beneficial.
- Place orientation information around the room
- A (large-print) calendar
- Photos of family and even staff if appropriate
- A note on the mirror (or in a location that will be most helpful) to help with confusion in the morning, for example.
- This depends on the patient's needs, but could include something about who they are, where they are, where to find the information they need, etc.
- Familiar music can be comforting
- Staying active and going for walks is good too!
- Keeping a calm positive therapy atmosphere
So what do you do for patients with dementia? Many of you may have MUCH more experience with this population than I do! Leave me your ideas below!