Saturday, August 28, 2010

Kristin's first post!

Welcome to our new blog! 

I'm excited to introduce myself and tell you a little about how Bob and I know eachother.  I'm an SLP working in an inpatient rehabilitation center.  I see mainly adult patients with stroke, TBI, and spinal cord injuries.  We also get our fair share of cancer, Guillain Barre, Parkinsons, MS. . .  I love working with adults.  Rehab can be a grueling setting to work in, but I find it really fulfilling, challenging, and interesting.

I'm hoping this blog can be a great place to share ideas and questions, and to have discussions and get feedback and ideas from other SLPs.  Feel free to comment often- including questions or requests for a specific post.  We love comments!


Bob and I met when we had a study group together way back in our junior year of college.  We kept joining  up for tests and projects, and over the next four years of undergrad and grad school we studied together for every test and paired up for every single project.  Our study styles just meshed well and I know Bob was a great help to me all throughout.  He put up with my crabby attitude on those late night cramming sessions, my many dating tales, my goofy humor, and my procrastination.  It's great to have a friend to lean on in those tough graduate school years!  Bob is a total hoot, he's witty, he's super smart, he's an extremely caring and compassionate clinician, he loves people, and would have been voted "Mr. Congeniality" if there were such a thing in the Communicative Disorders Department.  Bob is laid back, good-natured, and fun-loving.  I'm looking forward to his posts!


As for me, I'm into running, reading, blogging, singing, and eating good food.  As an SLP, my favorite things to work on are apraxia and aphasia.  I won't tell you my least favorite quite yet.  I like to do a lot of patient and family education, I'm aggressive when working on dysphagia, I'm passionate about AAC, and my favorite therapy tools are the VNS and the WALC-2 for those of you who know what I'm talking about.  I dislike plantar fasciitis, people on the train with poor hygiene, heavy metal, daily therapy documentation, cold weather, crusty bread, and stubbing a toe. 

XOXO
~K

1 comment: